The Spanish Arch was built in 1584, and is located on the banks of the river Corrib, and on the site more commonly known as Ceann na Bhalla (The Head of the Wall).
It was originally an extension of the famous city walls, designed to protect the quays. In the past, it was known as The Blind Arch. The Arch features a wooden sculpture which was sculpted by the well-known artist, Claire Shridan, who lived in the adjacent building during the 1950s.
Today, the Spanish Arch is home to the Galway City Museum.